1. Why do you guide where you do?
Cocodrie, Louisiana has a vast marsh system. In the spring through the summer, we fish in duck ponds with plenty of grass and clear water. In the fall through the winter, we fish closer to the Gulf of Mexico. Louisiana has more redfish than any other state.
2. What is your favorite fish specie?
3. What is your favorite thing about guiding?
Catching fish is the best way to make people happy. When you see a pod of fish, your excitement level goes way up. I love the rush of seeing the redfish take the fly and the reel screaming.
4. What is the most memorable trip you’ve guided and why?
In 2006, Lefty Kreh and I fished together for the first time. After two hours into the trip, Lefty looked nervous, so I asked him what’s bothering him. Lefty replied asking, “Where are all the people?” We didn’t see another boat all day. He told me this was like going back 30 years. He caught a 27 pound bull red that morning.
5. What is the funniest thing you’ve experienced while guiding?
Had a six foot alligator gar catch my client’s redfish while he was fighting the fish!
6. What makes your guide service great?
Great food and plenty of redfish and the beauty of the marsh!
7. If you had only one day off all year, where would you fish and what fish would you target?
I would fish my home waters for redfish.
8. What are your favorite three flies?
Popping bugs, spoon flies, Clouser minnows
9. What is the one piece of gear you couldn’t bear to leave at home?
10. Do you have any other passions?
Catching speckled trout and bowhunting
Disclosure: Blaine Townsend is in a professional relationship with the Fly Fishing Guide Directory, LLC and the Venturing Angler. Though potentially benefiting from this relationship, we do not post what we do not believe to be true. To read more, click here.