Larry Babin (of Larry Babin’s Hogs on the Fly) guides on some remarkable waters in his home state of Arkansas, often putting anglers on trophy trout and smallmouth bass. Babin recently sat down to take on some questions for the Venturing Angler:
1. Why do you guide where you do?
Mountain Home, Arkansas. Over 65 miles of trout habitat, two world class smallmouth fisheries, Crooked Creek & Buffalo River, two lakes: Bull Shoals and Norfork.
2. What is your favorite fish specie?
3. What is your favorite thing about guiding?
Teaching and relationship building.
4. What is the most memorable trip you’ve guided and why?
Repeat client Bob Korose & friend landed over 135 trout one glorious day the Norfork Tailwater. Over 40 browns, 10 cutthroats, and plenty of rainbows while midge fishing.
5. What is the funniest thing you’ve experienced while guiding?
Having a client fall out of the boat in 2 feet of water only minutes after asking if anyone had ever fallen out. That was the first.
6. What is your favorite thing about guiding?
Living vicariously through my clients.
7. If you had only one day off all year, where would you fish and fish would you target?
New Orleans: Redfish
8. What are your favorite three flies?
Hoppers, caddis, streamers
9. What is the one piece of gear you couldn’t bear to leave at home?
10. Do you have any other passions?
To check out more from Larry Babin and Hogs on the Fly, please click here.
Disclosure: Hogs on the Fly is in a professional relationship with the Fly Fishing Guide Directory, LLC and the Venturing Angler. Though potentially benefiting from this relationship, we do not post what we do not believe to be true. To read more, click here.