1. Why do you guide where you do?
I guide quite a few places but the Mad River is my home river and the one that I know most about. I also like to float customers in my AuSable boat and the Mad River is perfect for that.
2. What is your favorite fish specie?
Wow … tough question. Would have to say bonefish in the salt and carp in the sweet. I have taken quite a liking to Peacock Bass though recently.
3. What is your favorite thing about guiding?
First of all, I enjoy teaching. It is really what I do for a living and most clients love to learn … as well as catch fish. I also love the opportunity to make and share memories with some great folks.
4. What is the most memorable trip you’ve guided and why?
Back to the peacocks. It is just such an exotic and exciting trip that I would have to say our trips to Brazil are the most memorable.
5. What is the funniest thing you’ve experienced while guiding?
So many funny memories it’s hard to pick one … but one time I was demonstrating a two-fly rig and the customer asked if I ever caught two fish at once. I said that yes, it occasionally happens and he replied that he’d have to see it to believe it. Before the last words came out of his mouth .. .yep … two fish on the line!
6. What makes your guide service great?
1. Since 1989
2. We guide for so many speciesL trout, smallmouth, carp, largemouth, pike, muskie, steelhead … and that’s just in Ohio!!
3. Our guides are also teachers
4. Our guides have all been doing it for a long, long time and are not just “hired-hands” for the summer
7. If you had only one day off all year, where would you fish and what fish would you target?
8. What are your favorite three flies?
Soft Hackle, Andros Island Gotcha, Swimmy Jimmy
9. What is the one piece of gear you couldn’t bear to leave at home?
10. Do you have any other passions?
I play a little music when I can.
Disclosure: Mad River Outfitters is in a professional relationship with the Fly Fishing Guide Directory, LLC and the Venturing Angler. Though potentially benefiting from this relationship, we do not post what we do not believe to be true. To read more, click here.