1. Why do you guide where you do?
Our area is recognized as some of the best trout fishing in the world and the it’s a wonderful place to raise a family.
2. What is your favorite fish species?
3. What is your favorite thing about guiding?
Putting together a great day on the water and being able to share this beautiful part of the world with folks. Most if not all of the people I meet here in Montana are here to have fun, they arrive with a positive and upbeat attitude and I enjoy being with them and sharing with them the experience of Montana fishing.
4. What is the most memorable trip you’ve guided and why?
My entire rookie season at Kulik Lodge in Katmai National Park and Preserve Alaska. Seeing the look on my now wife’s face when we pulled the boat in across the river from the bears. Commuting to work in a float plane, fishing with the bears. Being false charged a couple times. Almost spending the night in the bush with clients after a nasty storm nearly kept us from being picked up.
5. What is the funniest thing you’ve experienced while guiding?
This is a tough one … too many to list. My buddy Eric who no longer guides replaced another guide’s silicone floatant with dish soap and how he couldn’t figure out why his dries kept foaming and sinking.
6. What is your favorite thing about guiding?
Being with people who are here to have fun and them letting me be part of their Montana adventure whether repeated for first time out.
7. If you had only one day off all year, where would you fish and fish would you target?
I would have to say somewhere in the salt for tarpon because I’ve never done it and it’s always been a dream of mine.
8. What are your favorite three flies?
I would normally say just about any streamer , bugger or other meat fly I can grip and strip but since it’s a fav’ list.
2) JJ Special
3) Chubby Chernobyl
9. What is the one piece of gear you couldn’t bear to leave at home?
My gear bag!
10. Do you have any other passions?
Hunting, Deer and Elk but mostly upland birds some water fowling, playing guitar, cooking. family!
Disclosure: FishTales Outfitting is in a professional relationship with the Fly Fishing Guide Directory, LLC and the Venturing Angler. Though potentially benefiting from this relationship, we do not post what we do not believe to be true. To read more, click here.